Tuesday, July 22, 2014

The fourth web 2.0 tool that I would like to discuss is Skype.  Many people, including myself, have been using Skype for years for personal reasons.  With family members on the other side of the world, my wife and I both rely on Skype to keep in touch with them through audio and visual.  As a teacher, I had not thought about using Skype in the classroom until recently.  Obviously, the possibilities are endless in connecting with other classrooms or guest speakers.  I suppose there is also potential for teacher to student communication outside of the classroom, but I would likely use Skype in this capacity myself.

Check out video below about Skype in the classroom.  



1 comment:

  1. My department head (God bless her), actually used Skype once to teach a class when she was home sick. The substitute had to set the computer and projector, and wrote on the board whatever the department head wanted her to write. The department head did not cover as much as she would have if she was there, but it was a whole lot better than having students to busy work all period.

    I, too, have thought about teacher-student communication outside the classroom. I once used Facetime on my iPad with one student as an experiment, helping her with her Calculus homework. (Her mother was aware we did this.) It worked, but we had only done it once. I don't know if I will expand this for the fall.

    ReplyDelete